Mrs. Clause’s Canberry Cocktail with a TWIST!
As the holidays come I always try to plan out a great drink for the adults and this year I took a favorite of mine from College Housewife and added a holiday twist. Not only does this cocktail target the scents of the holidays, but it also hits the spot when the kids won’t stop asking about opening gifts.
You might be wondering what the twist on this concoction is. My addition to this cocktail is an Italian liqueur Strega, it is from my hometown in Benevento, Italy. Strega is a delicate liqueur with digestive qualities somewhat like a hard kombucha. It is made up of a number of herbs such as mint, fennel, and saffron which gives it a bright yellow color. Strega is 80 proof which is similar to gin, vodka or whiskey and originates in Benevento, Italy where you’ll see it everywhere.
With the culture behind this liqueur and the added spices in this recipe, Mrs. Clause would approve.
What “yule” need…
- 2 Ounces of Cranberry Juice
- Cinnamon Sticks or 1/4 Teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 Ounces of di Saronno Strega
- 1 –2 Tablespoons of Rosemary Simple Syrup
- Break the cinnamon stick in half or add in 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to shaker.
- Fill shaker with cranberry juice, Strega, rosemary simple syrup and ice.
- Shake for 30 seconds.
- Pour into glass.
- Serve with the rosemary sprig and sugared cranberries.
- Dip cranberries + rosemary sprigs into the water and sprinkle with sugar. Let dry for a holiday sugared look!
*Note: to make rosemary simple syrup, bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a simmer. Remove from heat and add in three 5-inch rosemary sprigs. Steep for 20 minutes and strain mixture into a jar.