Best macaroni and cheese you’ve ever tasted! And under $15.00 for a family of five!
Mac and cheese….warm melted cheddar mixed with pasta… just thinking about it makes me hungry! Especially when it’s homemade. I’ve been making this recipe from a box of Prince elbow pasta since I was a kid – yes, in an Italian family you are starting to cook at around the age of 8, and using the oven by the age of 10!
The beautiful thing about macaroni and cheese is that it will satisfy your hungriest family members including the kids – after all – I can’t remember the last time I met someone who didn’t love macaroni and cheese, and more importantly, a good deal!
Tip: This version isn’t vegan but you can substitute the Prince elbow pasta for rice elbow pasta or chickpea pasta, along with substituting cheese with vegan cheese and voila – it’s vegan!
- 8 oz Prince® Elbow Macaroni
- 6 Tbsps butter
- 6 Tbsps all purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 4 cups (16 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens.
3. Stir in salt and ground black pepper. Add onion and cheese; stir until cheese melts. Stir cheese sauce into cooked pasta.
4. Spoon into greased 2-quart baking dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes.